Sunday, April 01, 2007




Food Redemption on Sunday Morning

"There's a new thing called concentrate for that sort of thing"-Dan said when he walked into the kitchen and saw me juicing oranges for breakfast.

My response was "I find redemption for my sins in the rituals of preparing food"-and while that may sound glib and cheeky, it is the truth. Some may make a big show of going to church and praying, some-Catholics I guess-go to a priest and confess, some meditate, some sing, but I juice, slice and dice my way to a state of Grace. I don't mean to proselytise, but it is my way of finding God and the meaning of life, and I highly reccomend it to everyone.

A wonderful Sunday morning accompaniment to the orange juice is the Monte Cristo sandwich. I make my version of this sandwich by layering slices of ham, turkey, swiss cheese, and raspberry jam between slices of sandwich bread. I then batter the sandwich in pancake batter and deep fry it until golden. After it is cooked and drained, I dust it with powdered sugar and serve it with maple syrup. While the ingredients may sound gross-swiss cheese with raspberry jam-they are delightful. A little Heaven on Earth to continue my Sunday sermon.








2 comments:

Brilynn said...

That is one impressive sandwich! And fresh squeezed orange juice beats concentrate hands down.

Kevin said...

Ok, I love Monte Cristo sandwiches, but really, what can't be made better by frying it??? I guess it does go w/your redemption theme, fried food is good (not healthy mind you) for the soul. Later cuz!!

P.S. Ask your parents about my ribs w/Mango Habenero glaze. And my marinated and rubbed smoked chicken. I think BBQ has redemption qualities also!!