Wednesday, April 18, 2007







Eating Out of Season

Is anything considered out of season anymore? Asparagus, strawberries, and lamb are available all seasons-asparagus is on the restaurant menu year round, and I can't imagine the howls and complaints I would get if I felt I needed to remove it. I will soon be buying it locally produced, but otherwise who really cares?

With our weather unseasonably cold and dreary-the local peach and apple crops are probalby lost-I decided to roast a turkey. Some guests were coming for Sunday lunch, and it seemed a good thing to make. I stuffed it, of course, and added some roasted beets, brussels sprouts with baby red onions, and gravy.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Ok, where's the 'turkey-on-Thanksgiving-only' rule written ????? Lighten up cuz...comfort foods(like stuffed turkey)are just that...why can't they be enjoyed year-round??? I bet that your Sunday turkey offering went over pretty good, especially since it was a dark, dreary(read:comfort-food-kind-of) day.

Eating season,for me, lasts all year long. It's going to be a cool spring evening here in Dallas tonight. I'm thinking a big bowl o' red (chili)will hit the spot, even if I'm making a major seasonal culinary faux pas.