Sunday, April 22, 2007


Newspaper Food Sections

I visit a web site named Newspaper Food Sections and Columns Online , which lists practically all the nations newspaper food sections and the day they are published. By clicking on a link you can read whichever food section you might want to. If you want to read about what they are writing about in Miami or SanFrancisco, all you have to do is click. Since I have family living Dallas, I usually read what The Dallas Morning News has to say. This week I took one of their recipes and turned it into one of my week-end specials.

Under their section titled Risingstar Chef, I took Robbie Lewis's (sous chef at Salum) recipe for pork loin with panzanella.

I roasted the whole pork loin and glazed it with Balsamic vinegar, to rare. I then cut and grilled slices to order. I layed the slices across the panzanella and splashed it with some additional Balsamic.

For the panznaella, which I admit should not be made until local ripe tomatoes are available, I used our homemade bread, Roma tomatoes, artichoke hearts, sweet peppers, and red onion with a vinaigrette of oregano, basil and white wine vinegar. I would have liked to use Balsamic vinaigrette with the panzanella, but I think it turns the salad too brown. It was a beautiful dish that I plan to repeat when the local tomatoes start arriving.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Looks excellent Mick!!!! I prefer smoking over roasting, but the balsamic vinegar glaze sounds very interesting. I've done some whole bone-in pork back loins on the smoker. This is the backbone of the hog with the pork chops still attached to the backbone. It's about 3 feet long and weighs about 25 lbs., instead of balsamic vinegar I use Coke and rub to make a paste. Makes for an outstanding bark.

I've not considered cooking it to rare on the smoker and then finish on a grill, but it sounds like something I'm going to have to try.