Monday, March 27, 2006



KNIFE SHARPENING

It is a cold and rainy Spring morning in St Louis. I decided to sharpen my knives. I start by making a nice pot of Jasmine tea, then spread out a tea towel with my stone on it. I lightly lubricate the stone with mineral oil, the tea towel helps absorb excess oil and stabilized the stone as I sharpen the knives.

The trick is to start at the top right top corner and pull the knife accross the entire stone, ending at the bottom left corner, as if you are trying to take a very thin slice off the top of the stone. Use the coarse side first, then the finer side. Ten swipes on each side. Wash off the oil in warm sudsy water and dry. Then a few swipes on the steel, and the knives are ready. I find great joy in properly sharpened knives with an edge. I plan to cook later in the day, and it will be a pleasure to prep with my knives.

No comments: