Monday, March 20, 2006





Cowboy steaks

I am working on a new cowboy steak for the restaurant menu. I used two different meat companies over the weekend. One was a 22 ounce cowboy steak, and the other was 16 ounces. They were both basically a rib eye steak with the bone still attached. The smaller steak had the lip removed, I think I preferred the larger steak's appearance. I used them as the Saturday night special and sold them out at $35 each-it isn't for the bargain hunter. It was so busy I couldn't get a photograph of the large steak, but I took one of the 16 ounce steaks home and prepared it for Sunday night supper. It didn't have the visual punch that the larger steak had.

I will also be teaching a cooking class at the Kitchen Conservatory using this steak with a pink peppercorn/roquefort sauce. I'll post that recipe later. For Sunday supper I didn't want a sauce. I rubbed the steak with sliced garlic, fresh ground pepper, 1 tablespoon Lea and Perrins worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. I let that sit 1/2 hour then grilled it inside on my Le Cruset grill pan. It was pretty satisfying.

My cousin Susan in Dallas has been complaining that I don't blog enough beef, so here's one for you Sue-Too bad Texas beef is so stringy and tough-you need to come to the Mid-West for great beef-and pork-and corn-and tomatoes-but you already know that.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Hey, one thing warm and sunny Texas has over the mid-tundra-west is the ability to cook meat properly...outside, over hot coals. Not inside in a skillet!!!!

But the corn and tomato reference kinda stings.....

You may try Kevin's Favorite Beef (and just about anything else) Seasoning

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons granulated garlic
6 tablespoons salt

The cayenne gives it a very nice zing!!