Monday, October 01, 2007


Delmonicos with Tapenade Butter and Roasted Squash


Fall is here and the sweet fall vegetables are so appealing. I roasted this squash, I can't recall the name-Sugar Baby-or something like that, that I got at Soulard Farmer's market. I roasted the squash cut in half with the flesh side up. Many recipes will direct you to place them on a baking sheet with the flesh side down with a bit of water on the bottom of the pan. This steams them. I prefer my way as the flesh will carmelize and brown and be sweeter. I rubbed the steaks with garlic and olive oil before grilling them ove charcoal. I made a steak butter with a tapenade which I incorporated with butter. All was delicious. The tapenade butter is a wonderful little addition to many things. It is marvelous over steamed cauliflour and tops a tuna steak just as tastily as a beef steak.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Mick,
I'm pleased to see that you cooked this steak correctly....over a real fire!!! The tapenade butter sounds really good, how did you spice it? Brandy????

Also, I agree w/your method for cooking squash. It does make them sweeter. But then, brown sugar and butter will sweeten just about anything.