Friday, October 26, 2012

Green Tomato and Cabbage Chow Chow



Green Tomato and Cabbage Chow Chow


The cabbages are just coming in, the tomatoes won't have enough sun to ripen, and the peppers are still abundant, so if you chop them all up, sweeten it and spice it up, preserve it with vinegar you have a tasty chow chow to brighten the upcoming winter meals.


I hesitate to give recipes and advice on canning, because I'm such a novice, so if you're unsure about preserving food, consuslt an expert-which I am not.  That said, this is the second time I've canned this relish.  The nuber one rule is keeping things clean, this means sterilizing the jars, lids, and utensils (a dishwasher can do this for you);  clean and sanitized work surfaces and clean wiping towels.



Start by chopping your vegetables and cooking them in the pickling solution.




 
 
 
  1.  
  2. 6 green tomatoes, cored and finely or coarsely chopped (I like mine chunky)
  3. 1 medium cabbage, chopped
  4. 8 Bell peppers-I used a mixture of colors
  5. 2 hot peppers-optional if you you don't like heat
  6. 3 Tablespoons mustard seeds
  7. 2 Tablespoons celery seeds
  8. 4 cups white vinegar-cider vinegar would be nicer
  9. 2 cups sugar-I used sugar substitute
  10. 3 Tablespoons kosher salt
  11.  
  12.  
  13. Cook over medium low heat for about 2 hours, stirring often and skimming any foam or scum from the top.
  14.  
  15. Ladel the hot relish into the sterilized jars, running a thin knife around the inside of the jar to release any air bubbles, place the sterilized lid on the jar and secure with a ring.
  16.  
  17. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  I use a steam canner, for 10 minutes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have no idea how why the numbers 1 through 17 appeared on the recipe, bu I can't get ride of them so ignore them please.
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: