Monday, June 30, 2008


Blackberry Rhubarb Pie

Cook Sister! is hosting a blogging event "Waiter there's something in my berries" which has prompted me to make this pie. You often see strawberry rhubarb pie, but not so much the blackberry rhubarb combination. To my eyes the colors are more complimentary to each other. The pie juices run a gorgeous shade of magenta with streaks of aubergine. I usually make pie dough with half butter and half lard, but since lard isn't one of the staples I keep on hand reugulaly, I tried a new recipe with butter and shortening-I did not like the results, so I won't be giving the recipe. Also, since I didn't like the way the pastry looked on the pastry board I decided to top the pie with a crumble topping instead of lattice pastry.

You will need 1 prepared pie shell.

For the filing:

5 cups sliced rhubarb

sugar

3 tablespoons of cornstarch

zest of one orange

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cups blackberries

Combine the rhubarb, cornstarch, and sugar;let sit 1/2 hour to draw the juices.

In a heavy bottomed pan, over very low heat "melt" the rhubarb, stirring often until the rhubarb is softened-about five minutes-cool before proceeding.

Stir in the orange zest and cinnamon, and carefully fold in the blackberries, being careful not to smash the berries.

Pour into prepared pie shell, and top with crumble topping (recipe follows). Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, turn the heat down to 350 and bake another 45 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and thick and the crumbs are browned.

For the topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of salt

1/3 cup of butter

Combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. This makes enough for two pies or one large crumble, you can freeze any extra.

5 comments:

wheresmymind said...

Blackberry...now that is an interesting idea! Btw...if you ever take the plunge, I can guarantee that you'd love the Big Green Egg! I don't even use my gas grill anymore :)

Jeanne said...

Oooh, rhubarb and blackberry! I can just taste this deliciously sweet/tart combination and you are right - the colours are far more interesting than rhubarb strawberry. Sorry to hear about your pastry disappointment, but I do love the crumble topping too (I can convince myself I'm eating healthily, ha ha ha!). Thanks so much for participating in WTSIM this month and hope to see you again.

Jude said...

Sorry to hear about the disappointment with the crust. I'm sure it was delicious nonetheless.

Unknown said...

It is so good I am making lot,s for Christmas.Thank,s so much.

Unknown said...

That pie is so good I am making it for Christmas gift,s. Thank you so much.