Wednesday, June 16, 2010








Corn Tortillas

Let me get this out-I am not a good tortilla maker-I just don't have a natural way with pastry, I don't know why because both my grandmothers made exceptional pie crusts, but not me. That doesn't stop me from doing it anyway. These tortillas are so simple and taste so complex and rich it is hard to believe that masa and water are the only ingredients involved. I don't have a tortilla press, I just roll the dough out between sheets of plastic wrap with a rolling pin, so they are a bit on the ugly side, so while they won't win the beauty crown they will win the personality contest with their charm and flavor.


2 cups Masa Harina
1 1/3 cups warm water


Measure the masa into a mixing bowl, slowly stir in the water-here is the catch, like most pastry the masa will absorb different amounts of water on different days depending on things like humidity-so it is the art to add just the right amount of water.


Work the dough with your hands it should be dense and moist, but not sticky or wet. You can add additional water or masa to get the right feel. One positive thing about working with masa is that you can't over work it like you can flour pastries.


Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 1/2 hour at room temperature


Get you cast iron skillet or griddle medium hot


Pinch off a golf-ball sized piece of dough and roll between your palms

Place the ball between two sheets of plastic wrap and roll out into a 6 to 8 inch circle


Place the tortill on the hot dry griddle-there should be a subtle sizzling


After 1 minute flip the tortill, it will probably puff up
After 30 seconds flip again for 30 more seconds remove the tortilla and keep warm until you serve them

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Come to Plano, my Mother-in-law will give you masa lessons. You need a tortilla press, those tortillas look deformed. Remember, with corn tortillas, it's very easy to get them too thick, they need to be thin. IMHO.........