Thursday, August 20, 2009


More Pickles
I've been blessed with lots of neighborhood gardeners leaving extra vegetables at my door. Pickling has always been a way of managing the abundance of harvest. Here I pickled a combination of cherry tomatoes, carrots, whole garlic cloves, red onion, cucumber, and jalapeno slices (I leave the seeds in for extra spiciness), it hasn't even cured totally yet and is already so spicy and good. I put out a small bowl to enjoy with cheeses, fruit, and cocktails.
about 4 cups of vegetables
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water (optional, depending on the acidity of your vinegar)
1 cup sugar
Salt and pepper
Stir up the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste for the balance you like it should be a combination of sweet-salty-sour. Remember your pickling solution should be pretty assertive because when you add the vegetables, it will become a little diluted.
Toss in the vegetables and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.

No comments: