Wednesday, April 09, 2008


Rosemary Red Eye Gravy


Red eye gravy wasn't something I remember growing up with-I don't think my mom ever made it. I first encountered it here in St Louis when I was cooking at the Richard Perry Restaurant. So that is how I learned it. It is traditionally a quick pan sauce made with strong coffee, usually served with ham steak. After some reading I discovered some cooks make red eye gravy with beef steaks. It seemed worth trying. I also added some Rosemary to the mix which seems untraditional but adds an interesting twist.


I first made a dry rub of finely ground coffee-I had some Starbucks dark roast in the freezer so I used that-and added some brown sugar, salt, and pepper.


for four 14 ounce steaks-rib eye, strip, or 8 ounce tenderloins


1/4 cup finely ground coffee

1/4 cup brown sugar

Freshly ground pepper

2 Tablespoons sea salt


I rubbed the mixture into the steaks and let them sit for 1/2 hour


I got out my favorite Griswold iron skillet and got it pretty hot and seared the steaks-lots of smoke. I removed the steaks to finish cooking in the oven.


While the steaks finished in the oven, I made the red eye gravy. Add brown sugar to the hot skillet and let it melt and caramelize slightly-this takes place almost instantly as the pan is so hot. Deglaze the pan with a bit of red wine, I then added a couple sprigs of fresh Rosemary-then add strongly brewed coffee. Scrape up all the drippings and let the mixture bubble a couple minutes. It makes a very thin but flavorful sauce similar to a jus.


1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup red wine

1 1/2 cup strongly brewed black coffee

2 sprigs of fresh Rosemary

Pour the gravy over the steaks and serve with spoon bread on the side.



1 comment:

Kevin said...

Mick,
Very creative!!!!! Except for the oven-method of ruining, I mean cooking your steak. Steak MUST be cooked over a hot fire. Period. End of discussion........

Now, the coffee rub really intrigues me. I've considered trying that on brisket. I'd have to use less sugar, and add in a couple more spices, but I think I'll try it soon.

Thanks for including ingredients and amounts!! Very helpful. Now, just learn the proper method for cooking your steak........LOL!!

Later cuz!!!!
Kevin