Monday, November 05, 2007











PUMPKINS AND PUMPKIN SOUP WITH WILD MUSHROOMS

Some of the kids carved pumpkins for the restaurant last week. On Halloween, all the customers voted and the winner got $50 plus some ghoulish gifts. While they were carving pumpkins, I was making soup. I think I got this recipe from an old Gourmet magazine-I've been making several years, so I'm not sure where I got it. I sauteed some curry powder, shallot, garlic, and mushrooms briefly in butter. Add pumpkin puree and thin with chicken stock until it has your desired consistency and simmer a few minutes-it's a very quick soup-once you have the pumpkin puree (you can also use canned). Taste for salt and pepper, and add a couple tablespoons of honey, if you like your pumpkin a little sweet, plus the sweetness is a great counterpoint to curry. Stir in a couple tablespoons of cream to round the flavor and serve with additional sauteed wild mushrooms to garnish.

No comments: